If you’re considering having intense pulsed light therapy at MedSpa at ChristiMD, it can do amazing things for your skin. You should know what to expect after IPL photofacial treatment, so that you’re fully informed and ready to achieve an even-toned, more youthful appearance!
What is IPL Photofacial Treatment?
Intense pulsed light works as a therapy to:
- Permanently removes hyperpigmented cells
- Creates a more even skin tone
- Erases spider veins
- Lightens/removes freckles
- Eliminates acne-causing bacteria
- Reduces redness from rosacea
- Addresses acne scarring
- Stimulates collagen production
IPL photofacial treatments selectively target hyperpigmented cells without damaging the normal skin area above them. The Cutera® Limelight technology produces wavelengths which react with the pigment in those cells, at a specific depth beneath the skin—effectively destroying the cell.
What to Expect after IPL Photofacial Treatment
After your IPL photofacial treatment, you should expect the following:
- Redness in the treatment area for up to 24 hours
- Darkening and crusting of the age spots/freckles within 24 hours and for up to 3 to 4 days
- Flaking of “coffee ground looking spots” for a week to 2 weeks
- Re-treatment after the crusting has cleared, and at least a month after previous treatment
- Avoiding artificial tanning and sun exposure without sun protection for 4 weeks following each treatment
After each IPL treatment you will experience a slight redness, similar to a sunburn. But because IPL photofacial therapy is non-ablative and non-invasive, you can get back to your social activities without downtime. You can even put on moisturizing makeup!
Within a few days the hyperpigmented cells will rise to the surface of your skin. These dark spots will look similar to coffee grounds. The urge to itch comes along with this natural healing, but don’t scratch them! Remember that where you scratch is where you scar, and it can affect your final results.
These small dark spots eventually flake off, exposing your refreshed, even-toned skin. Suddenly your skin has become more clear and youthful-looking!
During the healing time after a treatment, we absolutely recommend applying high-quality moisturizers on the area. And of course—use sunscreen! Using the right protection when out in the sun means better skin health now and in the future.
How many IPL treatments do I need?
Typically IPL photofacial therapy consists of at least 3 treatments performed 1 month apart. This spacing allows your body time to heal between treatments and discard the disrupted hyperpigmented cells.
During the 2nd and 3rd sessions, we’ll assess the results and address any remaining pigmentation issues. Further treatments may be recommended, depending on your goals and results.
Schedule A Consultation